Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I’ve messed up after cleaning previous decking stain off my

Customer Question

I’ve messed up after cleaning previous decking stain off my decking I’ve painted fence paint down. I can see this isn’t going to work from comments I’ve read but I wanted to know if I can now paint over the fence paint with decking stain? Many thanks
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: ate you support for diy? Decking staining?
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not good I’ve put fence stain as first coat after cleaning the decking back to wood. Can I put decking stain down over the fence stain?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No just will it work if I put decking stain over fence stain?
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I paint over fence stain with decking stain on decking?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 10 days ago.

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

There's no technical reason why you can't paint over it, but it might not come out the colour you expect. It would be test it out on a small area that isn't going to show later, then you can judge how it looks and whether or not to proceed with the entire area.

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.