How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Moore Your Own Question
Eric Moore
Eric Moore,
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 173
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Eric Moore is online now

I wonder if someone could advise how to turn my outside tap

This answer was rated:

I wonder if someone could advise how to turn my outside tap on and off please? The stop cock is under the kitchen sink but turning it either way does not make the outside tap work. Desperately need to wash my car!! Thanks, Nicki
JA: What's the brand and model of your faucet? How old is it?
Customer: Its a new build house, where would I find the make of the tap?
JA: How long has this been going on with your faucet? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Since I moved in last April. I've tried turning the tap all the way open.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can send a pic if that helps?
Hi ,

Can you send a pic of the valve under the sink


Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I tried to reply but I've been blocked from responding to you. Cloudflare Ray ID: 6ce75fa24e5974c9

Your IP:

Performance & security by Cloudflare

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Is it a red wheel that you can turn clockwise and anti clockwise
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Sorry I managed to send a pic in the end. It's a tap not a red wheel.

I didn't get it

The stop cock valve i am talking about is that like a wheel of is it a level

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Still not getting it sorry

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Is there another way I can send you the pic?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Neither, theres 4 vertical pipes, one with a brass tap on it.

I know the one 

The valve seizes on them when they haven't been open for a while

The whole unit will have to be replaced unfortunately

You can go to your local plumbers merchants and get one if you are happy doing the repair yourself or you can contact a local plumber to do the repair


Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Could it be the external stopcock though?

It can't be the external stop cock if there is water coming into the house

Eric Moore and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok thanks

You are most welcome