James
James, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I need help repairing a ceiling light, i don't know, it fell

Customer Question

I need help repairing a ceiling light
JA: What's the brand and model of your lighting? How old is it?
Customer: i don't know
JA: The Electrician can help you find the model number for your lighting; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your lighting? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it fell out this morning and i have tried poking the copper wires through the holes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it is just two blue and brown cables, and i don't know where to put them in the rose or how to get them in
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (4MZTP17)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (3GQ626T)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (G45425Z)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  James replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** a technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today. Sorry to hear your having issues, please stand by while I look into the problem for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  James replied 16 days ago.

The pendent wires just need to go to the same colours, so blue pendent wire needs to go in the left had terminal (next to the blue wire in the terminal block already), and then the brown pendent wire goes to the far right terminal (next to the brown wire in the terminal block)

It was a pleasure to assist you today. I hope the above answers the question. If you are happy for the question to be closed there is no need to reply (as this will reopen the question), however do let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** what I suspected but I am struggling to actually fix them in - is there a particular implement that helps get the copper wiring into the holes properly?
Expert:  James replied 16 days ago.

No just make sure the screw terminals are out, and you may find nipping the ends off and twisting the wire and it should go back in without issue and tighten in place using the screw at the top of the block.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, sorry to bother you again. I am not a technical person at all. I need for you to explain like I’m 10 years old. I used a screwdriver to unscrew the whole thing a bit. Is the terminal the row of plastic with the holes? How do I get it off? How do I get the copper wire contacts to stay in there?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (ZSSPSLT)
Expert:  James replied 12 days ago.

You are correct the terminal block is the plastic part with holes one end (where your wires are) and screws at the other end. So you unscrew the screws at one end insert the wires in the hole and then tighten up the screws once again. You don't need to strip anything down you may find the video here useful - you can probably skip to 4:40 into the video.