Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have concerns about the state of joists I have uncovered

Hi I have concerns about the state of joists I have uncovered during a bathroom renovation. I am just wondering if they would require repair
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: One joists has very large notches taken out of it i have a picture if that helps
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Not sure

Good evening, and welcome to Just Answer.Please do attach your photo(s) and I’ll do my best and o advise you.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This is the only photo I have. Unfortunately the contractor I hired has started a new installation on top of it all. He suggested it wasn't ideal but okay. Since then I have had issues with his quality so i am just circling back to this to check that it doesn't need urgent attention before continuing with any further work on top

Looking at the photo, I now understand your concern.  The notches in those joists are so deep as to make the joists pointless - all they are doing is providing something to fix the flooring to, but they won't provide structural strength because they won't withstand any significant bending forces..

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are they repairable?

That depends on lots of things, like span, and what things are bearing on the joists.  I might be possible to strengthen the joist(s) with a steel plate, but it might not.  The routes of the various pipes need to be sorted out first, clearly.

Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience: Owner at Self-employed
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thank you for your advice. I have the information I need to make the decision to pull floor up and have it inspected professionally.
You're welcome.  I think you're making the right decision to investigate further.  I'm sorry that there's no quick and easy answer, but hopefully you'll find a good builder who can propose a pragmatic remedy.