Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I've got a appliance that keeps overheating and is drawing

I've got a appliance that keeps overheating and is drawing too many amps and causing teh socket to become alarming hot
All the cabling is up to trade standards, 45amp fuse in the consumer unit, 10mm twin and earth wire, 2.5mm power supply with 13 amp fuse for the appliance (Bitcoin Miner THT2+).
Thing is, it's not drawing more than 2200-2800 Watts is there a solution for this?
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: Asic Miner (Innosicon THT2+)
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its been going on since I plugged it in. Like I said, all the wiring is up to trade standards, I even purchased the supplies for legitimate stores
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Good evening, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your overheating socket problem. So that I can give you the best assistance, You said that it's drawing more than 2800 Watts; how many Watts is it drawing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It doesn’t go above 2800w. It ranges from 2200-2800W

Ah, my sincere apologies - I misread your post.  I failed to see the "not" in "not drawing".

A 2800W load will draw around 11.5 amps.  This should be within the capability of the socket and the plug, but there several things that can each lead to overheating:

1. Poor termination of either live or neutral inside the plug top.
2. Poor termination of either live or neutral at the connection of the supply
to the socket outlet;
3. Old and tired sprung terminals for the plug top pins, in the socket outlet.
4. Poor connection of the fuse with its contacts inside the plug top.

I would start by opening up the plug top and checking that everything is in order.  If it is, then isolate the circuit that the socket outlet is on, and do the same check with the cable connections to that.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Apologies I just ran a second test on it and the device is using 13.83amps, 238volts and 3302 Watts
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Is there a way to reduce the amps?

13.83 amps should still be within the capability of the socket and the plug top.  There's a high-resistance connection somewhere.

How many hours per day is the appliance in use?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It runs 24hours a day.

In that case it's deemed to be a fixed appliance, and it shouldn't be connected via a socket outlet.  Moreover, it should be on a dedicated radial circuit.  You can make a major and quick improvement by removing the plug top, replacing the socket outlet with a switched fused connection unit, and connecting the appliance to that.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479