Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour, Electronics Technician
Experience:  Over 30 Years Experience!
110699312

Just had a Visonic Security alarm box explode. Is this a

Just had a Visonic Security alarm bell box explode. Is this a risk in all such systems, or is it more likely due to the use of the wrong/incompatible battery type for the system, or bad fitting?
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: I am not working on the appliance, i am a homeowner and external bell box of the Visonic Powermax complete system we have just exploded off the wall
JA: How long has this been going on with your Powermax? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the system was installed 5 years ago and recently had a service and the bell box had a change of battery
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i dont think so

Greetings and Welcome to JustAnswer.

I am Andrew your Support Technician with over 30 years of experience, it can be very frustrating when electronic devices go wrong but from my experience misconfiguration are usually the problem and they can be quickly resolved with the right advice and assistance. Please allow me a few moments to investigate, I will respond at the earliest either requesting more information or providing further information.

Thank you for your patience while I investigated your question. I will need some additional information in this instance as the information provided initially has not been very clear, I hope that is ok with you.

1. Would that be the Siren unit that has exploded?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
that is correct

I have investigated the information you have provided and it sounds like you have a query relating to a Siren Alarm which has exploded. It would suggest to me that this would have something to do with the batteries, due to the heat generated within the battery, the battery becomes pressurised and deformed; In addition to design life, overcharging, internal physical damage, internal short circuit or a hot environment are all potential causes for battery fires or explosions.

The chances of changing the battery in the unit now is very unlikely and my recommendation would be that you replace the siren alrogether. It may be a good idea to reach out to the compnay you user for servicing your aralm.

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok, so in short it is just as likely to be a natural occuring fault that could happen at any time, although possibly poor/wrong fitting from the technician from the alarm company?

Unless you have anything to suggest it was possibly poor/wrong fitting from the technician, it would point towards the batteries.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok thank you for your time Andrew

Im pleased to hear you are another Happy Customer If you need further assistance in the future you can reach out to me via JustAnswer. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Cheers Andy

All the best.