Tom
Tom, Engineer
Experience:  Bio-engineer, expert in physics, chemistry and biology
33656705

Science related

Science related

Can you please send your question?

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is related to a science experiment about temperature
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the experiment

OK, can you please post the question so I can see if I'm able to help you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With these results it’s asking what effect temperature has on the rate of reaction
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what temperature rise makes the rate to double

OK, please give me a minute to have a look.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that’s fine thank you

The table shows that the rate of reaction doubles for each increase of 30°C: the rate at 50°C is approximately 2 times the rate at 20°C, and the rate at 60°C is approximately twice the rate at 30°C.

When the rate doubles for each linear increase in temperature, it means we have an exponential relationship between the 2 parameters: the rate of reaction will increase exponentially as temperature increases. (This is actually described in the equation of Arrhenius but I assume that's out of scope here).

Tom

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wow thank you for the help
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i understand now

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can i ask one last question about the rate

Sure!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have a question saying what’s the rate at 35 degrees celcius i look at the temperature column from my results and line it with the rate column but since 30 is only showing on the temperature section how do i say the number between rate 0.010 and 0.012 i thought it would be 0.011 but i’m not too sure

When you round it, you will indeed find 0.011. Only be aware that due to the exponential nature of the curve, the actual value with more decimals will be more than 0.011 (since it will be closer to 0.012 than to 0.010). But with 3 decimals, you will indeed have 0.011

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh so at 35 degrees celcius the rate should be put down as 0.011 still?

Yes, it's between the values fo 30°C and 40° so that's your only reasonable estimate there.