Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

I have a diesel Honda Civic. It is experiencing difficulty

I have a diesel Honda Civic. It is experiencing difficulty starting - usually after it has driven a fair distance (40-60 miles). I have had AA out twice because it wouldn't start - once a problem fuel pump was identified and the second time no faults were identified and then the car started. On short trips (less than 10 miles)there is a lag in starting - the engine turns over but doesn't immediately catch and then does.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: There are no trouble codes or check engine lights. It sparks after a bit.
JA: What year is your Civic?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: After the first AA call out I took it to the garage - it was there for three days - it started all the time for them and their diagnostics came up with no faults.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need guidance on what to do next. The AA man suggested a diesel specialist who could service the injectors and fuel pump. And/or drive the vehicle him/herself to experience the fault.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I help you with this ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please - what should I do next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me written advice?

The AA man is correct on that specific items need testing on there own and to look at fuel values.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuel values or valves? So I should find a diesel specialist?

Yes you need a specialist they can look into the issue a lot deeper than a everyday garage.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.