sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Honda crv 2.0 petrol 2001, splutters and stalls when sharp

Customer Question

honda crv 2.0 petrol 2001, splutters and stalls when sharp presses of accelerator, then floods and wont restart for an hour.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: no engine light , runs fine and idles fine
JA: What year is your CR-V?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i had a look for my father in law, when i looked all was good, untill i manually reved the engine from inside the bay sharply, this caused some spluttering , like a slight delay, (vacuum issue?)
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: donot think so
Category: Honda
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What do you need to know?
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Dear customer, if it could be vacuum problems that when you sharply reved you could have burst one of the gaskets of the air intake system, this is something common that happens in vehicles that have such long time of use, but it can also be an issue in the Fuel pump that when forced abruptly stopped working correctly, so I recommend you that you check the state of the pressure of the same as well as being a check for vacuum leaks to the air intake system.

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The problem only occurs when the throttle is pressed very quickly, it then floods. Once started again the engine runs fine with smooth accelerator operation, but sharp presses, makes the issue happen

Then it may be that the injector is getting stuck in the open position and you have to turn the engine off and on to re-close the injector, although I also recommend you to check for vacuum leaks because that would rule out a problem in the pump.