IanjC211
IanjC211, Technician
Experience:  Expert
111627093

My brakes are going rock hard a while after driving.

Customer Question

My brakes are going rock hard a while after driving. Sometimes if I turn the engine off and on and it stops. My car had a MOT in December and passed with all ok. I seem to be losing power when this happens, as if the brakes are holding me back.
Category: Honda
Expert:  IanjC211 replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you with your issue please give me one moment to review the information thank you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  IanjC211 replied 12 days ago.

Hi when the brake pedal starts to go hard it usually means there is an issue with the brake booster or the vacuum line that goes to it. It could be a leak from the vacuum line or deterioration internally of the brake booster.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is it safe to drive for another week until I can get it to a garage?
Expert:  IanjC211 replied 12 days ago.

Hello sorry no the brake efficiency will be severely affected and will be dangerous to drive.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is intermittently happening, it isn’t hard all the time just occasionally?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It doesn’t take longer to brake or anything, in fact the brake is much more sensitive when it’s hard
Expert:  IanjC211 replied 12 days ago.

Hi make sure you mention this to the mechanic when going for repair because if thats the case the brake callipers should be checked as well although the brakes feel sensitive and work a sudden failure may occur as there is a fault on the braking system. I would advise against it.