Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

My spare wheel on the back of my 2006crv has a metal collar

My spare wheel on the back of my 2006crv has a metal collar around the special wheel nut which prevents the special socket from engaging so I can't remove wheel to change after a puncture.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: Very good just had health check at honda dealer
JA: What year is your Special?
Customer: When I say special I mean the odd nut on each wheel which requires different socket to remove it .car is 2006.
JA: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just trying to change wheel but spare can't be removed due to metal collar around nut
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just need to know how to get this nut off

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today do you mean the locking wheel nut cover see images.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The actual wheel nut has collar around it preventing the socket ,in your image,to pass over it ,engaging ,so can't remove it
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No I don't want to phone

That was JA asking for a call carry on via text please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is that it ? I have to pay more to get an answer?

Carry on via text please can you send me a photo.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am doing this on a tablet .I do not have a smart phone

Can you take a picture with the tablet.

Is it a cover that locks like a nut going over the locking wheel nut.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will take photo

ok thank you.

How do I send a photo or file to the Expert?

There are a few ways to send a photo or file to your Expert. When posting your question, there is an option to add photos and files.

• If you already posted your question and still need to share photos or files, click the upload icon on the reply box in your question.
  • A pop-up window will open. Locate the file on your computer, click it once, then click Open.
  • A link representing your photo or file should now appear below the reply box on your question page. Insert text in the reply box and click the Send button to send your photo or file to the Expert.

To send a photo or file, it must be 5MB or less and in one of the following formats: GIF, PNG, JPEG, ZIP, RAR, PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT, DOCX, XLSX, SWF, FLV, WMV. If your photo or file is larger than 5MB, please resize it or send it to customer support at *****@******.***.

Hope that helps to send a photo.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Trying to send image

Thank you can i have a picture of the locking nut on the main wheels.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Will do having trouble with this

I take it you have not owned the vehicle from new.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No bought it last summer

Just give me a few minutes.

These are the best images i could find Honda use 2 different types of locking wheel nuts the locking wheel nuts at some point have been replaced without replacing the spare wheel one.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The nu t on the spare is the same as other wheels only has metal collar around it which turns bu t does not come off.It has been put around existing nut but was not manufacturered like that.I can't imaging its purpose complete ly prevents removal of wheel nut.

They are not the same Honda use two different types of locking wheel nuts the one fitted to the spare is the old type the one's on the wheels are the new type it has had the locking wheel nuts changed / replaced at some point.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok how do I get it off

Hammer and chisel job.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would my local honda garage have socket to fit?

Some do keep a master set you will have to ask them.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help and patience .

No problem you are welcome regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No more questions thanks issue sorted

No problem regards Gavin.