Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Radio keeps cutting out when interior is warm or on a warm

Radio keeps cutting out when interior is warm or on a warm day
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: It came with the car, Honda built in
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: Honda Civic automatic 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I can, nothing done yet also the interior fan has stopped working
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's it really

Hiya

When you say the unit is cutting out at higher temperatures do you mean the radio reception goes or the unit physically turns itself off?

Either way I would suspect that the unit itself is at fault.  Part of the electronic circuitry inside will be breaking down was the heat increases.

If it is just radio reception you are losing then before writing off the audio unit check that the aerial doesn't go through an electronic module as some do.  This would be located near to the tailgate somewhere.

Phillip

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The radio head unit switches itself on and off without me doing anything. When it shuts down it tries to turn itself back on. This will keep switching on and off intermittently until I have finished driving and the car is switched off. The problem seems to occur when the interior is warm oan on hot days. Also the interior fan has stopped working mechanically although the LED instrument points that it is on. Can you help me with this as well please?

Hiya

I suspect the Audio Unit will be an internal failure of the electronics breaking down when hot.  Most likely the Transformer within the unit.

With your interior fan if it is not working on any speed then it could be the fan motor itself.  The other item of interest would be the fan resistor  however when these fail you usually still get the fast speed of the fan working.

Obviously before writing either of those off just carry out a basic check of the fuse for the interior fan circuit.

Phillip

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hiya Phillip,
I purchased a fuse for the blower and put it in and the blower still does not work so I guess along with the radio cutting out the honda is good for the scrap yard. Welcome suggestions but I have no questions coming to mind
Kind regards Clef.

Hiya

Only the fan motor and or the heater fan resistor as previously  suggested yesterday.

Seems a bit much to  scrap the vehicle for the sake of a fan motor unless there is a lot of other problems with the vehicle.

Phillip

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hiya phillip, thank you for pointing me to the direction of the fault. What do you think the cost of works would be then compared to scrapping the vehicle?

Hiya

If it is the Fan Motor that is at fault I would think you would be looking at approx £80 for the fan and approx £160 to fit.  If it is just the resistor maybe about £100 .

If you scrapped the vehicle are you going to get another vehicle for that much money?

Phillip

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hiya Phillip, thanks for your advice.I have booked it in for tomorrow to be looked at. Let's see what occurs. Regards Clef.

Hiya

No problem at all/

Phillip