Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Honda Civic 2006 (mk8/FN2) Automatic. Car makes slight

Honda Civic 2006 (mk8/FN2) Automatic.
Car makes slight 'clunk' sound going from neutral into reverse.
I notice if it changes gear below 2,000rpm, it will make a slight clunk sound going from 1st to 2nd (and vice versa).
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I should add that the clunk sound from 1st to 2nd doesn't happen all the time

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

The noise may be from the gearbox / engine mountings and not it the gearbox, a small clunk as the drive takes up is not too serious, and the main problem that these gearboxes suffered was a juddering when accelerating. If the gearbox fluid is good and the car drives smoothly otherwise, I would not expect this to be a major gearbox problem. It could be the case that slight play in the engine / gearbox mounts is allowing a small amount of movement which is causing the clunk.

The first step would be to ensure the gearbox fluid level is good and a nice clean colour with no smell of burning. The gearbox oil level should be checked within 90 seconds of switching off the engine.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Steve, I'm getting the fluid changed on Friday, if it still makes the sound I'll look into the mounts. Thanks again

Your welcome, do please feel free to get back to me again if you have any further questions on the matter, just reply to this thread and I will be notified.

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Perfect, thanks. Should I go ahead and do the rating or will that close this 'case' permanently

No the rating does not close the thread, so please do that if you are happy,  I will still be available after completing that for further advice.

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you yesterday. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Steve, hope you’re well.
A further twist to the story. This morning the amber I-shift cog wheel warning light popped up but the car drove normally. Switched off the engine, turned it back on and the warning light disappeared. I’ve read online about software, battery issues, actuator issues but not sure what to believe. Any ideas?

Good morning

The problem could be an actuator or software issue, when they change the fluid tomorrow they should be able to check for any fault codes in the gearbox, this should highlight if there is a problem.

This could well be a glitch and it can happen when a sensor gives out a random reading for a second. Hopefully an oil change will sort things out, but reading the codes will give a better idea.

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay thanks Steve

Your welcome.

Steve