Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a 26 year old mare, she has a large swelling on her

I have a 26 year old mare, she has a large swelling on her hock. I think its just arthritis, doesnt seem to bother her. She isnt 100% sound when ridden but only walks out occasionally (she loves this). Still trots round field independently. I am giving various supplements. Would a vet do anything else. Or am I wasting my time and money to get one to look?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there is no wound
Assistant: What is the horse's name?
Customer: Millie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your horse. You are correct that the swelling could be arthritis especially if there has been little change in the size of the swelling over a long period of time. However I would still advise that you get your vet to check the swelling as other causes are possible. Your vet may need to take an xray of the leg in order to see if the swelling is related to bone, the joint space or the soft tissues, they can then advise you on the best course of action.

Hope this is useful, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Chris