Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I recently went horse riding for the first time .why do the

Hello. I recently went horse riding for the first time .why do the horses try and lick you . The horse i was on even started to lick at what i was wearing like in picture. Thanks

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I will review your question and get back to you ASAP with a response

Horses do enjoy the taste of salt, so this may be why he decided to lick you especially if you were as sweaty as the guy in that picture! Hope that helps.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr Chris ,thanks for your reply .it is abit of a strange feeling when the horse starts to lick at you especial dressed like in the picture .it seemed to like to even lick at what i was wearing, is it better to push the horse away, or might it get agressive and try and bite. thanks again.

Yes it would be, and you will end up covered in horse slobber too! Most horses are fairly docile creatures so it shouldn't be a problem to gently push them away. Wearing longer sleeved clothing my also help discourage them from licking you, enjoy your riding!

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks ,you can close the question now.

You're welcome. Thanks for the rating.