horsevet1976
horsevet1976, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years as mobile equine vet
62986281

My Welsh D banks his bed up so he is stood down and digs his

Customer Question

My Welsh D banks his bed up so he is stood down hill and digs his hind toes in. He also wedges his feet up against the walls to the point he’s made a rut in the wall. None of the vets know why. Please help
Category: Horse
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He’s got remedial shoes on all round. Collateral ligaments of the coffin joint 2015. Currently a stifle trauma under vet care.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Stands on his own back feet too and they’re usually bruised on the wall
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that’s fine thank you
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 4 months ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please need answers
Expert:  horsevet1976 replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like he has sore hind end heels and trying to get pressure off of that area. Also could be suspensory desmitis if his fetlocks drop more than normal. What kind of shoes? On any medication? For some reason he is trying to get weight off of hind end, usually the lower limb or foot.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His shoes are made wide to give more support, spider plates on the front and heel plates on the back. He is on prascend for Cushings and has just had stem cell injections in his stifle and a full course of cartrophen. The farrier wanted his hind suspensories scanned, our vet found the injury to the stifle and wanted to sort that first so he didn’t get to the suspensories. Although the treatment is the same for both. So if it is that it should be fixed. Our vets are on emergency calls only for the foreseeable. Farrier is due on the 6th April.

Sounds like he has good shoes to support heels and suspensories behind. However, he is showing signs of more pain behind and trying to get the weight off the back of his feet. I would think hind suspensory desmitis very likely. A lot of times the hind fetlocks are enlarged with wind puffs and a lowering of the fetlock joint. It can help to place standing wraps to support the hind limbs and encourage blood flow. An MSM supplement is also recommended for theses cases. Lookup Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Desmitis to see if your horse resembles the photos of the hind fetlocks. These can be hard to manage because of the loss of support. Stall rest and good bedding is good when they are painful.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My other horse was treated for hind suspensories last year and kissing spine ligament snip in jan, he only had a very slight shortness of stride no other clues. I’ve looked at the photos on google and no he definitely doesn’t look like that. Apart from him staying off his heels in the stable the only other thing that looks slightly strange is he holds his hind legs further under his body when outside. The vet wanted me to be lunging him walk week one trot week two and canter week three. I think he was expecting him to be fixed, I absolutely know there’s more going on so I won’t be doing that. I gave him more bedding at the weekend and thankfully that’s got him off the wall. I’ll find some MSM and put his full wrap magnet boots back on.