Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc MVB
108243009

My horse just recovered from babesia fever I need her to put

My horse just recovered from babesia fever I need her to put on weight what is the best advice on feeding

Hello, You're through to Dr. Edele.

Glad to hear your mare has recovered! May I just ask what you're feeding her at the moment please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I feed her pellets it's a formula for Polo horses and hey

Ok perfect. There are a few things you can do to try to help her to gain weight

1) Conditioning mix/cubes to help gain weight, if you use one aimed towards older horses it's unlikely to make her fizzy while she's recovering.

2) Vegetable oil is a great thing to add to her food too. Start with small amounts first a couple of tablespoons and increase it over a couple of weeks to 1 cup per feed. If she develops any diarrhea then stop if for a couple of days and this should resolve completely. You can then try to reintroduce the oil at a lower dose and keep it at that level as her gut may not be able to deal with larger amounts.

Her hay can be adlib (as much as she wants, always available) for the moment to help her gain weight. Aim for 2-2.5% of her goal weight to be fed every day - eg if she should be 500kg then she should eat at least 10kg of hay/forage per day.

Check on the packaging of the food you're giving her for the exact amount to give and increase her feed until she is eating enough to maintain her goal weight (eg if she is 400kg but should be 500kg then aim to feed her the amount for a 500kg horse)