MichaelD1217
MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
111024629

My horse has a snotty nose and a cough. Cough started

Customer Question

My horse has a snotty nose and a cough. Cough started yesterday afternoon/evening and snotty nose this morning, just one nostril
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the horse been eating and drinking normally? Have you checked for a fever?
Customer: Eating normally, normal behaviour. Drank more than usual. Temp is 38.7 this morning
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the horse been licking or scratching its skin?
Customer: No
JA: How old is Temp?
Customer: I took the temp at 10am Today
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No thats all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse
Expert:  MichaelD1217 replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon, I am sorry to hear you are having these issues with your horse. I am an equine vet and hope I am able to help

There are many cases of nasal discharge and cough in horses as I am sure you are aware. What type of work does the horse do? Has the horse been away from the yard recently or have any other horses moved into the yard? Are we fully up to date with vaccinations?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He does nothing, field in the day, stabled at night. He hasn't left the yard and up to date with all vaccinations. New horses on yard have all been in isolation and havent been in contact with him

Excellent, thank you for the information. Has your horse shown any issues eating? Dropping balls of partly chewed hay etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he hasn't, I've just brought him in now snotty from both nostrils? Not coughed yet

Ok, so there are a few things here first the temperature of 38.7 is raised indicating we probably have an infection going on. The coughing also suggests inflammation somewhere. Combined we can probably conclude the most likely area for this is somewhere along the airway whether that be the lungs or upper airway/sinus area. What colour is the nasal discharge? Clear, cloud or green?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just checked temp again. Now 38.1

Ok so has come back down and you may find it goes up again. However, the fact still remains that we had a high temperature and that is really good that you detected that as it will help with treatment. From all the information you have provided to me it seems that your horse is bright otherwise so I would suggest you contact your local veterinary surgeon in the morning and request an examination as that will be required in order to prescribe the drugs that may be required to treat this issue. Nasal discharge can be caused by bacteria or viruses with viruses being common. Your vet may advise some tests like a nasal swab or blood sample to try identify the exact cause before prescribing treatment which may include anti-inflammatory drugs and/or antibiotics.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fabulous thankyou, will contact my vet tomorrow

No problem have a wonderful day and if I can be of any further assiatance please let me know.