MichaelD1217
MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
111024629

I have a horse who has a small bug bite wound on the inside

Hey! I have a horse who has a small bug bite wound on the inside of her back leg. Only the size of a 2p coin. But it’s been well over a month and it’s not healing at all
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the horse hurt herself? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: just under two months ago. It scabs over at night then opens up during the day and bleeds a tiny tiny bit. No swelling or heat.
JA: And what's the horse's name and age?
Customer: Belle, 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Belle?
Customer: no.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is what it looks like when I check first thing in the morning. Throughout the day it opens up again and sometimes bleeds. I can only imagine that it might be because the flies are harassing it? But not too sure. I’m just concerned because it’s been a while and hasn’t healed over.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would just like to add, it’s reduced in size. I will attach a photo of what it was like when I first noticed it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this was it when I first noticed it. The last photo I sent is the most recent.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello i would still like an answer please
Good morning, I do apologise for the delay. I am Michael and Equjne vet and hope I can help
I am sorry to hear you are having this problem. From review of the history and photos I would be very suspicious this may be a type of sarcoid.
This is something that would need fully assess by your local veterinary surgeon to formulate the best plan going forward
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Michael. Those pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago. I do have a recent one from this morning if you wanted to take a look?
please that would be great
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This was from this morning

I would be concerned that this could be a sarcoid it would be unusual for a fly bite to persist this long.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Michael. That’s what I was worried about. I’ll give the vets a ring first thing tomorrow when they open.

It isn't a major emergency but I would suggest you have it looked at as they are much easier to deal with when they are smaller in size than when they get big. I hope you get sorted and if you need any further advice please do not hesitate to contact me.

MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Expert