MichaelD1217
MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
111024629

Well I have a miniature Shetland colt just turned 1 years

Well I have a miniature Shetland colt just turned 1 years old. But has only dropped one testical at the moment a vet said they could feel the other but was higher up in the groin will this drop naturally I’ve been told to wait until he’s 2 years old then if not dropped get him operated on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the colt's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: It only appeared when he was 1 which was in may this year
JA: When was the colt last seen by a vet?
Customer: May
JA: What's the colt's name?
Customer: koda
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Alina - Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Close questions
Good morning.
Apologies for the delay. I am Michael an equine vet
I understand you’re having concerns about an undescrnded testicle
Very often (but not always) these will descend with time. However if you are very keen to castrate at this point they can usually be found under general anaesthesia in the inguinal ring
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Would this be done in a equine hospital or the field
Generally it would be done in a hospital if there is any concern a testical could be infra-abdominal. But certainly if Inguinal and an experienced surgeon it could be done in the field but with higher risks of complication.
MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Expert