How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chris Your Own Question
Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Category: Horse
Satisfied Customers: 2205
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
Type Your Horse Question Here...
Dr Chris is online now

Horse 370 fay's in foal and no sign of having it. Does have

This answer was rated:

Horse 370 fay's in foal and no sign of having it. Does have small udder and vulva opened for over 2 weeks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the horse's situation?
Customer: In what way
JA: When was the horse last seen by a vet?
Customer: Not been seen
JA: What's the horse's name?
Customer: Dee
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Dee?
Customer: She is 26. Has had foals when she was younger
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
370 days in foal today
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Any answer please

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly

Thank for your question. I appreciate your concern here, however the gestation period in a horse is highly variable (much more so than other animals). Many consider anywhere up to 380 days to be a nornal gestation period. So long as we do not have any concerning signs (malaise, poor appetite, colic, fever or abnormal vaginal discharge) then we can wait a little longer.

If we get to 380 days with no sign of anything happening then I would veetainly get your vet out to see her to check that everything is still OK with the pregnancy.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Category: Horse
Satisfied Customers: 2205
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS
Dr Chris and other Horse Specialists are ready to help you