MichaelD1217
MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
111024629

I have a horse with ringbone, that has 1 sachet of danalon

Hi I have a horse with ringbone, that has 1 sachet of danalon daily and bloods checked regularly due to the danalon. I'm wondering if he can have one of these no bute/ devil's claw herbal supplements alongside the prescribed medication
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the horse was acting this way?
Customer: He had ringbone diagnosed 2 years ago and is seen every 6 months by our vet for a health check I'm just wondering if its safe to add in a herbal supplement to support him im aware as an arthritis condition it will only get worse
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the horse with this behavior?
Customer: What behaviour
JA: What's the horse's name and age?
Customer: Bobby hes 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bobby?
Customer: He just hacks in straight lines walk trot we take it all steady with him

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi yes please trying to get an answer
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Good morning, my name is***** am one of the equine vets and hope I can help you 

It's great that you seem to be keeping on top of his general health given the long term anti-inflammatory use.

If he is health and well otherwise there should be no problems giving him a herbal supplement.

I hope this is helpful

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks i just wanted to check it was safe to feed along side .In terms of stem cell therapy for ringbone in horses how successful is this, how many injections are generally given and whats the average cost in uk

So, it really does depend on a lot of things. Firstly, is the ringbone diagnosed by nerve blocks, joint blocks and X-rays? If not this definitely needs to be done before going down the stem cell route. Generally stem cells are better in the early stage of the disease process rather than after a few years when thinsg are potentially more advanced. It can cost anyway between £1500 and 3500 depending on what you use etc. Have you tried medicating the joint with steroids

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hes had xrays, and nerve blocks for diagnosis. Our vets not keen on steroids due to lamintic history of the horse. So trying to understand what else can be done to keep him comfortable and delay the progress of the ringbone.
Do you recommend any other treatments for me to discuss with our vet. I'm trying to be prepared when I call our vet so I get the most out of the call

That is fair as steroids can increase the risk of laminitis. In my experience ringbone is really difficult to manage you could consider a pastern arthrodesis which is fusing the joint with plates and screws

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we asked about that and from looking at the xray the vet said Bobby wasn't a good candidate for that. I can't recall his full explanation so will be sure to ask.
It does seem difficult to manage.

Just double check your vet wasn't referring to chemical arthrodesis rather than surgical

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ahhh right i will thanks. Its so much to take in when you see the vet. That's why this is so handy, if only my vet had live chat!

Absolutely, and I fully understand that as I work in specialist equine practice and sometimes we give alot of very new info to clients and its a lot to take in. If you wish to discuss your horse in greater detail and sahre the radiographs etc I offer general first opinion consults and 2nd opinion consults on Vetster if you need further assistance in the future.

MichaelD1217, Horse Veterinarian
Experience: Expert
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Super thanks