JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Is it possible to replace the seal on an Alpha 3.018652

Customer Question

is it possible to replace the seal on an Alpha 3.018652 diverter valve without removing it from the boiler
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: valve has been leaking slightly for 12 months. The entire valve was replaced three years ago, but this seems to be a design weakness
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not this time, but if it recurs I might try.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I still have the old valve which I have dismantled and rebuilt so I understand how it works. I think that it should be possible to withdraw the outer mushroom piece to renew the rubber seals once the system is drained. It is only the seal round the actuation rod for the motor which seems to fail.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: 12 months. Once the colder weather starts and the heating is in use daily, the system needs to be re-pressurised every 5 days or so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I explained previously, the valve has developed a leak where the motor actuator rod protrudes through the plastic end piece. This happened previously and the valve was replaced completely by a heating engineer who had a lot of problems with the restricted space. I have the old valve and understand how it works. Can I replace just the seals at the motor end without removing the valve completely?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, lets just communicate via the portal.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Expert responses can take some time I am afraid, this is not an immediate service.

The entire valve needs to come out, be stripped down and seals changed, so you will need to drain down the boiler to fit the kit.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Was the issue trying to get the valve back in and fitted, as normally these valves come out reasonably easily.

Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Do you still require assistance?