Tim JA
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have bought a Danfoss RET2000MS and am having problems

Hi I have bought a Danfoss RET2000MS and am having problems getting it to work correctly. Can you help?
JA: How long have you had your RET2000MS?
Customer: I installed it today
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have connected the N and wiring
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: But the boiler is not switching off when temperature is reached
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am ok with waiting for an answer
Does the boiler burner remain lit when the temperature is reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The boiler tensions permanently on. The thermostat is not switching it off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Remains*
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you call at 11:00?
we can talk at 11:00.
Can it be 11:30 instead?
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience: Owner at Self-employed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure 11:30 is fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could we make the call for 12:00? My current meeting is over running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't work. There was no power to the thermostat.I swapped the wires in terminal N and 2. And have the same problem that the boiler is permanently on.
Hm. I’m thinking...
As a sanity check, could you disconnect the L & N wires from the thermostat, and then power up the system. If the boiler ignites then you have a problem elsewhere, not with the thermostat. Be careful with any exposed wires, obviously.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that and the boiler does not for up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For infor. The wires are marked BR G and BL.
I have a suggestion, but first can you tell me which colours were connected to the old thermostat, and where you first connected them to the new thermostat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BL and BT were connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry BL and BR were connected
Hm. That wasn’t what I was hoping.Do you have access to the other end of that cable? To see what the three conductors are connected to? I do have a suggestion but it’s still based on part supposition, so it would be better to be certain.
Which Honeywell terminal was BR connected to?
And which Danfoss terminal did you first connect BR to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't. It would mean opening up the boiler which I don't want to do.Let's try your suggestion.
Can you tell about the terminal connections first?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BR was in 1 on the Honeywell. And is in L on the Danfoss.
If the cable goes straight to the boiler then I think you have a problem. Can you tell me the make and model of the boiler?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right now BR is in L
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The boiler is a Valiant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't see where the wires go, it may not be directly to the boiler.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
EcoTEC plus 831
Ok one moment...
Is this boiler also heating a hot water cylinder? If so, do you have motorised valves?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The boiler does hear the water too, it is a combi boiler. I don't know about the valves.
Understood. The boiler has three connections for the thermostat, so this is difficult without either a meter or knowing what’s connected at the boiler end, but give me two mins and I’ll make a suggestion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK
Sorry - bad news. You, or someone, will need to change the connections inside the boiler. Currently it’s wired to suit the type of thermostat you used to have. The Danfoss is different and therefore different connected inside the boiler must be used.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about I try G into N, BR into L and BL into 2?
I can tell you which connections to change.If you venture in that direction then it’s legal as long as you’re careful. The first step would be to photo the existing connections to boiler terminals 3,4,5 and send me that.
There’s nothing you can do at the thermostat end to make it work. The chances are that G isn’t connected to the boiler.
Apologies for the first theory - I should have started by asking which boiler you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I can't go into the boiler as this is a rented property. So, I guess, we are done.
if you’re the landlord you can’t work on it. Sorry. The fix is simple, but needs an electrical or heating engineer. Or, you just fit a new T6360 - that would work out cheaper.
Then you just mimic the original connections to 1 & 3. It’s not ideal, but it will function.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks for your help.
👍