Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Magicoal 4501 night storage heater that’s stopped

I have a Magicoal 4501 night storage heater that’s stopped working. How do I detect what the problem is?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just started!
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was trying to but if I need an electrician I can get one
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I’ve checked fuses and they’re okay. I’ve taken the front panel off but that’s it.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I’ve taken out the fire bricks and can see the elements but how do I know if they’re faulty or not?

Hello, the easiest and best way is to measure the resistance with a multimeter.

Screwfix sell very cheap ones, if you don't have one. I'll tell you the value that should expect to see - bear with me....

BTW, if you're getting no hear then it;s far more likely that the overheat thermostat has tripped. The multimeter will help you with that too.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Thank you. I don’t live anywhere near a Screwfix store but can pick one up on Monday. I’ll wait till then. The heaters are about 25 years old so maybe it’s time to buy new ones. Any recommendations? Thanks

The resistance of each element should be around 67 Ohms.

This appliance has a one-shot thermal link instead of a resettable thermostat, which is easy to spot if it has melted.

Personally I wouldn't replace the appliance unless it's starting to look dated and/or nasty. Most people replace them because the heat output is poor, without realising that the elements are cheap to replace.

If you want to get a new appliance, then get the simplest one possible - no electronics. Whilst timers and other fancy features are nice, then go wrong and you'll come to hate it.

Please ignore the phone call offer if you don't to talk - that's an optional service and the offer is generated automatically by the web site.