Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I've just purchased a T6360B room thermostat which I need to

I've just purchased a T6360B room thermostat which I need to operate as a cooling fan.
JA: How long have you had your T6360B?
Customer: Only this week, but I need wiring details to use as a cooling fan. Is it possible to email instructions or diagrams of how to do this
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer:***@******.***
JA: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: Sorry should be***@******.***
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried the supplier, Google, you tube and are at a loss.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I need it to turn on when the building gets too warm to extract the heat.

Hello, this is straightforward.

The T6360B has three terminals, plus neutral. Ideally you have a neutral conductor but the thermostat will still function without it, albeit less accurately.

To operate a cooling system when the temperature reaches the threshold, connect the live conductor to terminal 1. Terminal 4. then provides the switched live to the cooling appliance. However, be aware that this terminal is rated at 6 Amps for a resistive load and 2 Amps for an inductive load.

If you need a thermostat to provide switching at a higher current, then let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks, we will try this tomorrow, and hopefully it will work. Please can we speak to you again if we have any more problems.

You can certainly post again - this topic will stay open until your question is fully answered.

Out of interest, what is the load that you'll be connecting to the thermostat?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's only a small extractor fan about 2amp max

Ah OK that's cool (see what I did there?) :-)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Good morning Tim, I have tried as per instructions, it only works as per heating and not for cooling I.e. on when cool and off when hot. I just need it to work on and off for a cooling fan I need it to come on when it's hot and off when it's cool. I do not wish to take up the option of a phone call as its too expensive thanks

Good morning

Could you confirm that you've connected the load to Terminal 4, not to Terminal 3?

Do you have a multimeter handy?

If you receive an alert of a phone call offer, you can ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. If you wish to speak to me then you can initiate a call at any time, and I will tell you whether or not I can pick up. You won't be charged if we don't get connected.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
as per instructions, and I have used a multimeter and no way can I get it to cooling

OK. So when you get continuity from T1-T3, do you get open circuit on T1-T4?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
to both

OK. So if the thermostat isn't faulty then there is continuity on T1-T3 when the dial is showing below the current temperature.

When you turn the dial clockwise to beyond the current temperature, does the thermostat click? If so, do you now get open circuit on T1-T3 and continuity on T1-T4?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
On item one . When continuity T1 -T4 showing when above current temp.
Item 2 Yed thermostat clicks and have open circuit T1-T3 and continuity on T1-T4
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Tim
Any more ideas ?

My bad - my previous post was wrong, I'll clarify...

It's important that all of the four conditions are true, otherwise the thermostat is faulty:

1. Thermostat set point is below current room temperature; T1-T3 open circuit.
2. Thermostat set point is below current room temperature; T1-T4 continuity.
3. Thermostat set point is above current room temperature; T1-T3 continuity.
4. Thermostat set point is above current room temperature; T1-T4 open circuit.

Could you check all four of those and let me know if any aren't true statements?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Item 1 is not a true statement

In that case the thermostat is faulty in a very strange way.

However, you're lucky because you don't need to use T3. You must have nothing connected to T3.

Since the T1-T4 shows open circuit when the temperature drops, and continuity when the temperature rises, that's exactly what you need. Or have I misunderstood something?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
There must have been a misunderstanding somewhere, using T1-T4 the fan turns on when cold and off when hot, which is completely the wrong way round for the fan to operate

OK. Could you re-check my tests 2 & 4 above?

2. Thermostat set point is below current room temperature,
so turn the dial anti-clockwise;

T1-T4 should have continuity.

4. Thermostat set point is above current room temperature,
so turn the dial clockwise;
T1-T4 should be open circuit.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Think you have them the wrong way round, so to turn down is clockwise and up is anti clockwise

To clarify:

The set point is the temperature showing on the dial. So when you turn the dial fully anti-clockwise, the set point will be 10°C.

In this position, if the room temperature is 20°C, then T1-T4 should have continuity (test #2).

If you then turn the dial fully clockwise to 30°C, if the room temperature is still 20°C, then T1-T4 should be open circuit (test #4).

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Clockwise so would be 10
Anticlockwise set point would be 30 as you face the dial

OK, so the confusion arises because we're using different definitions of "clockwise".

Here are the tests without using that word:

Thermostat dial is at 10°C

1. T1-T3 is open circuit.
2. T1-T4 has continuity.

Thermostat dial is at 30°C
3. T1-T3 has continuity.
4. T1-T4 is open circuit.

Which of these are true statements, and which are false?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Dial at 10 both true
Dial at 30 T1-T3 true
T1 T4 untrue

OK. So the thermostat is clearly faulty.

You have the right product, but a faulty version of it. Is it brand new from a retailer?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thought maybe it is, thanks for your time we really cant spend any more time if you think its faulty.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes it was brand new from a retailer

I agree - it's faulty in a way that you can't even work around, because it will never turn off the fan. You need to return it for replacement or refund.

If you're satisfied with my advice, your rating (using the 5 stars at the top of this page) will enable me to receive a credit for my time.