Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

As we are in difficult times I just need advice my potterton

As we are in difficult times I just need advice my potterton is showing error E133 and everything off ..gas interruption ...happened overnight a couple of nights back...is there anything I can do? Thanks
JA: How old is your Potterton product?
Customer: 6 years I believe 5 possible
JA: How long has this been going on with your Potterton? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just stopped two days ago and havnt done anything as yet
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well there is one thing and don’t know if connected the pipe connecting to heating and bath with little cover on ( don’t know name) seems to be at an angle now as though wind moved it? Don’t know if part of this

Hello, please could you specify the exact model of your boiler?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Promax combi HE plus

OK bear with me...

If you receive an alert of a phone call offer, you can ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. If you wish to speak to me then you can initiate a call at any time, and I will tell you whether or not I can pick up. You won't be charged if we don't get connected.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh ok well is there any advice on the boiler situation E133

I'm just typing my response to you...

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is it possible to get hot water at leaat
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At least?

Again, I'm in the middle of typing my response!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry didn’t see text! Thanks

My answer might be disappointing, but don't shoot the messenger!

As I suspect you already know, E133 means:
"Interruption Of Gas Supply or Flame Failure"

This covers many eventualities, which are:

1. Failure in the flame detection function;
2. Igniter or electrode fault;
3. Gas valve fault;
4. PCB fault.

The problem now is that unless you're familiar confident to work inside the boiler casing, with an understanding of how to diagnose the problem and find the faulty component, you're better off calling a local qualified engineer. I believe that Baxi offers a fixed-price repair option, possibly contingent on a service contract, but that can be good value. How soon you can get someone

To answer your question about hot water, unfortunately the flame ignition/detection function is key to both hot water and heating, so you're stuck. Like I said, this is disappointing, but the intermittent nature makes this nigh on impossible to solve from distance.

There is one hope...

If you are confident enough, you can power off the boiler, remove the casing, locate the ignition lead and check its condition. You might spot a loose connection, or a chafed cable, or something equally obvious, which you can then fix.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am happy with the response, this is what I expected but another member of the house was querying it so this is good and confirmed we can live as we are under this special viral situation.
I wasn’t being impatient as I am not young and could not see anything on this phone...you have done me a huge favour thanks so much!

I'm pleased to be able to help. These times are indeed challenging.

Stay safe, and keep well :-)