Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have an old potterton ep3001, the control panel is showing

Customer Question

Hi, I have an old potterton ep3001, the control panel is showing nothing, but the hw light remains on permanently. Have tried pressing all sorts of combinations, nothing happens, can only turn it off from fuse. Have no way of turning heating on. Have removed control panel face, taken battery out, given it a clean, still the same. Please help. Thankyou
JA: How old is your Potterton lighting?
Customer: Old, 30 years
JA: How long has this been going on with your Potterton lighting? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have already told you Is this automated?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have told you everything
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today. Please excuse the initial questions - they are asked by a bot.

If you have tools and are comfortable that you know how to work safely with electricity, I can tell you how to bypass the EP3001 so that you have control of the heating just with the room thermostat.
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What sort of tools do you mean, screwdrivers yes, if you mean turning the mains off before doing anything, I can do that. Also, by bypassing the ep 3001, can still turn the hot water on? Without using the emersion switch on the tank, sorry if I spelt emersion or completely got the vocabulary wrong. But I know I can heat the water electrically on the tank, but that is costly. Thankyou
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok just seen it is an extra 16 pounds for you to call me. Please dont. Thankyou
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you can do it via text and pics with no extra charge then ok. If there is a charge then I will end this here. Thankyou

I mean bypass for the heating, and leave the hot water control as it is.

Assuming that you want to proceed, shall I send you the steps?

Please note that I wrote at the beginning "If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control."

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have accidentally pressed phone call requested. Will I still be charged, if we do not talk on the phone.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ignore the last one I just read your message again. So no charge for the rest of this conversation? Thanks

I have nothing to do with the charges that are made, but I suggest that you contact Customer Service about it.

Please note that I have limited time left at my desk tonight, if you want to proceed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No leave it thanks. I think I just need to buy a new timer and have an electrician to fit it. Thanks