Tim JA
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have no hot water/ heating. My boiler is flashing,

Hi, I have no hot water/ heating. My boiler is flashing, alternately F.22 then 0.3?
JA: What happened just before your boiler displayed this message?
Customer: I turned the hot tap on and had no hot water...
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Noticed it about 30 minutes ago. I have tried the reset button but nothing else. I have noticed my Wi-Fi was not connecting...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I know of. Thanks

Good afternoon, this indicates a loss of pressure. Do you need guidance in topping up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please

No problem. I need to establish which type of filling loop you have. Bear with me, I will attach a photo…

Can you see a filling loop anywhere that looks like the one in this photo?

If not, please tell me the model of your boiler.

Let me know if you need any more help :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I have a filling loop like that

OK. Would you prefer guidance on the phone, or on this forum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On this forum please. I requested a phone call but was cut off!

OK I don't know why you were cut off. I didn't receive a call at this end. On here is no problem.
____

Can you see the pressure gauge? It would help me to know the model of your boiler.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Vaillant ecoTECpro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...pro28

OK. Can you see the pressure gauge?

While you're looking I will pull up the manual...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has no figures but the needle is resting on the stop

So it's at the extreme left? Are there coloured segments on the gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s correct. The gauge is grey for the first two thirds then red

OK. In the following instructions, your target for the gauge needle is halfway to two-thirds along the grey. It's not important to be exact, but it's important not to set the pressure too high - whilst it's in no way dangerous, it could lead to other problems.
_____

So, you see the two black-handled valves on the braided hose (as per photo). In the photo those handles show the valves in the closed position. Are your black handles at 90 degrees to the ones in the photo? Don't turn the handles yet!

Correction! Sorry - in the photo, the valves are in the open position! Apologies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, got this phone request message I can’t get rid of so it’s difficult to read your messages! The two handles are pointing North/ south

I sympathise - I also see the phone call request and can't get rid of it! (I will feed this back to the site operator.)

North/south? Are the handles like the ones in the photo I sent, i.e. aligned with the hose, or are they "across" the hose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Across the hose

That's perfect. They are both closed at the moment.

So, could you attempt to turn one of the handles 90 degrees, to get the feel of it. Then close it again. Nothing should happen - this is just to check that it's not seized or difficult.

When you've done that, and it's closed, open and close the other valve, for the same reason. Again, nothing should happen.

Let me know how that goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both turned easily, and nothing happened!

Great! Now the steps to increase the pressure. Please read through the following before starting to do it.

1. Open one valve and leave it open

2. Before opening the other one keep your eye on the pressure gauge.

3. Open the other valve - you should hear water passing through it. Close that second valve when the pressure reaches halfway along the grey section. It should take a few seconds, but there are some situations where it can rise very quickly.

When you close that second valve, the needle might drop back, so you can open again to top it up a little.

Then close the first valve, and start the boiler. Some Vaillant boilers will detect the change and start automatically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done as you said and the needle is halfway along the grey. The boiler has started automatically.

Hurrah! I suggest that you keep an eye on the pressure over the next week, in case there's a new problem that is reducing the pressure.

In the meantime, if your happy with my assistance, please rate me using the 5 stars at the top of the page. The customer's rating is what enables an expert to be paid for their time, so I hope I was helpful to you.

Ah - forget that last paragraph - I see that you already have rated me. Thank you :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thank you! I wouldn’t have known where to start! You have made an old lady and her dog very happy! Thanks again, Lindsey

You're very welcome, Lindsey and your dog :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
55357;�����