James
James, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Can a PRV be put into a Return during installation? This was

Customer Question

Can a PRV be put into a Return during installation? This was done during my 2009 installation. Two engineers today say it is a faulty installation and won’t deal with the issue that has arisen.
JA: What's the brand and model of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: Potterton Pro Max System HE Plus
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2009
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Pressure goes so no heat. I can repressurize , but only lasts for an hour. Been like this since Sat. Took me ages to get insurance guy out! He refused to do it. No water leakage. Still have hot water
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm an appliance repair technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
The PRV is not doing its just at the end of the circuit, so would agree with the previous engineer assessment.

Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Section 6.7.1 of the installation manual states "SAFETY VALVE - A safety valve complying with the requirements of BS 6750 Part 1 must be fitted close to the boiler on the flow pipe by means of a horizontal or vertically upward connection with no intervening valve or restrictions and should be positioned to facilitate testing. The valve should be pre-set and non-adjustable to operate at a pressure of 3 bar (45 Ibf/in2 ). It must be arranged to discharge any water or steam through a pipe to a safe outlet position."

As such this is not a safe installation, and would contact the installer, and state you will contact Gas Safe or building control if he does not agree to put right the defect.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.