Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have an issue with my electric radiators, Reina Colona 1

I have an issue with my electric radiators
JA: What's the brand and model of your radiator? How old is it?
Customer: Reina Colona 1 year old.
JA: How long has this been going on with your radiator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1 year. Everything.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That the radiators are water-filled, hard-wired electric.

Good afternoon

Bear with me while I digest your question, and I will respond in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Tim, thank you.

What are the symptoms of the problem?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We have 9 x horizontal 2/4 column radiators, none of which reach desired temperature. I’m sat next to one of them now that will not reach 30 degrees. The technical information for this one states the heat output watts as 1000 at Delta T50, but I know it only has a 300w element. How can a 300w element produce 1000w of heat?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
These are electric only, water-filled radiators.

The output of 1000 at Delta T50 relates to its use in a wet central heating system - I deduce that it's a dual-fuel capable radiator, although it sounds like you're using it only with an electric element.

When you say that it won't reach 30 degrees, is that room temperature you want to achieve?

Can you tell me about the history of these radiators, and the property? Were they installed a year ago? Did they replace something else? Did there used to be a gas-fired heating system?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi again Tim, yes, I believe that they could be used as part of a CH system but they are indeed electric only because we live in a remote location and gas is not available. They were first installed 1 year ago and they replaced massive storage radiators. 30 degrees is the temperature on the thermostat on the actual radiator which has incremental 5 degree stages up to 75 degrees. I would love it if the room I’m in would reach 20 degrees!

Hm, OK. Who designed and specified the system that you now have?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I did, based on room sizes etc. and the heat output quoted in the specification. I think for my office I needed between 875 and 1025 watts to heat it adequately and the spec of the radiator is said to be 1000/1268 T50/T60.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The office radiator is 600mm x 605mm 4 column.

OK please bear with me. I'm on a call and will reply as soon as I've finished...

Hm. I fear that you've chosen radiators based on their hydronic output, not in electric mode. As you've already observed, you cannot get 1kW from a 300W element.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Mmm, I see. Well that is the specification for electric listed, so it’s not advertised correctly ergo, they’ve been mis-sold as well as being unfit for purpose, so I can have recourse under the Consumer Regulations. Thank you Tim, much appreciated.

Could you give me the link to the advert where you say it's being mis-sold?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
https://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/reina-colona-steel-white-horizontal-column-radiator.html - if you go to ‘Technical Information’, you’ll see the specification listed.

Technical information just says this:

SKUCSW-H

Guarantee Length 5 Years

Radiator Colour White

Radiator Material Steel

Product Highlights Made from Superior Quality Steel; Sturdy And Reliable; 5 Years Guarantee

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’ve also just noticed it’s at the end of the ‘Product Description’ as well.

Ah, my bad - one has to select the columns and size first. One moment...

It says "Heat Output Watts (Delta T60) 1070"

Is that the figure you were going by?

In case it helps, here's an explanation of Delta T ratings, provided by a leading radiator manufacturer.

https://www.stelrad.com/news-events/blog/the-importance-of-delta-t-in-calculating-heating-output/

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Tim - please call when you’re free.

I would, but the call offer has expired, so I think you have to refresh it in some way.

Or, you can start a new question and mark it for my attention.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Mmm - I can’t see an option to do either of those things.

You must have a started a question to get this far - do you mean you don't see a way to mark it for my attention?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I spotted the link in tiny tiny light blue font
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Now I’m not sure if this is a new thread or the old one. It says you have my number?

Events here overtaken by the call. Good talking to you; I'm sorry that you have this hassle to deal with though :-(

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks again Tim. I see I've been charged for both call requests so I'll need to contact JustAnswer and explain that one had expired.

I will also message the moderator about it.

Thank you for your rating, and your kind bonus :-)