Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

My boiler pressure has gone up into the red what might be

Customer Question

hi my boiler pressure has gone up into the red what might be the issue i,ve read it s possibly the expansion vassal
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler? How old is it?
Customer: no codes the boilers 13 years old
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: abut a week haven't had heating on since noticing but just released a bit of air out of expansion vessal it took it down then when i put heating on it went back up
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with this.

Firstly, releasing air from the expansion vessel cannot fix a problem.  You might have created a problem, but that remains to be seen.

Please tell me the make and model of the boiler.  Also, it would useful to know what the pressure reading was before you increased it, and what you increased it to.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
valliant eco plus . it would normally run at about 1 and half bar. i noticed that when it came on it would go into the red that's when i let air out of the expansion vessal
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thanks Tim that makes sense but i,m not able to do that at present as i,ve got a house full of grandkids if i,m able to do so at a later time that would be good
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 14 days ago.

OK. Since you’ve let air out of the EV, the problem of the pressure increasing will probably become more pronounced.  The best thing to do is call a suitably qualified engineer who will check the pressure and can correct it.  This has to be done with the boiler off and drained.  If the EV is external to the boiler, then you’ll have to partially drain the system.