Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I am having a problem with my DANFOSS TP5000 thermostat, not

Hi, I am having a problem with my DANFOSS TP5000 thermostat
JA: How long have you had your TP5000?
Customer: not sure I just moved in the house But I think it has been here for a while
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, so the situation is bit complicated I have 2 of TP5000 installed. One for upstairs and one for downstairs upstairs one is working just fine however, downstairs one is not working at all. Although it is ON. It's display is working fine but its just not activating the central heating
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, thats about it, They can ask me further questions as we move along

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I’ll help you today.

Having two identical thermostats will make things easier, especially as one of them is working. The first thing to do is Power the following:

Having two identical thermostats will make things easier, especially as one of them is working. The first thing to do is the following:

1. Power off the heating system.

1. Power off the heating system.

2. Unmount both thermostats and swap them over.

3. Power on the heating system.

Now see if the problem is now upstairs, or if it still downstairs.  If it has moved upstairs, then the problem is with the thermostat itself.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, Thank you for your response. I tried that i.e. Swapping both Units. The problem still persists.

Yes I expected that the problem would persist, however is the problem with the same thermostat in the new position, or with a different thermostat in the old position?

Tim Cooke,
Experience: Owner at Self-employed
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
now that thermostats are swapped, the problem persists with different thermostat in old position (downstairs)

I just tried calling you twice, but the call is not connecting. Did you receive an income

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My appologies, my phone was on silent. Should I call you back on 01536 609053?

My apologies – I have a poor signal. I’ll try again in a moment…

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I know we have concluded our conversation, but just wanted to let you know that after I pulled that lever on the silver thing, heating turned itself on downstairs. I think we need to get it replaced.

The problem needs to be fully diagnosed first - it could be in the valve, or the actuator. Or there could be two faults.

I've only just seen your follow-up question, so I apologise for this slow reply.
Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can do:
1. Power off the heating system, for safety.
2. With a suitable Torx bit or flat-bladed screwdriver, loosen by a couple of turns the screw that holds the powerhead cover in place, and lift off the cover. On later models the cover is tethered by an earth cable.
3. With the same Torx tool or screwdriver, loosen the two screws in the at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions on the baseplate of the powerhead (when viewed with the short side of the casing at either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock).
4. At this point, the powerhead will lift away from the brass valve, but since it's stuck open you might need to do some wiggling to persuade it. I advise against prising it off with any tools, as you might bend the baseplate.
5. With the powerhead removed, try to wiggle the spindle of the valve. It has only about 35 degrees of travel.  It should be possible to move it just with fingers.
If the spindle moves freely, then the powerhead is faulty. If it was seized, then you can try to wiggle it free with a tool, but don't use anything with serrated jaws that might rough up the brass surface. A small adjustable spanner is good, but don't force the valve spindle - just gentle wiggling.
If the valve was sticking the powerhead motor might have become damaged, but you can turn the power back on with the powerhead off, and check that it operates.