Tim JA
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a Capriz 24c boiler and I wanted to ask some

Customer Question

hey - we have a Capriz 24c boiler and I wanted to ask some questions about the timer and if we can fit a better timer system?
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler? How old is it?
Customer: no - its just the timer isnt working
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we had it serviced a few weeks ago and we need a new timer/clock
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no - just need to talk to an engineer...
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

There's a separate phone call service, for an extra fee, or we can carry out the dialogue on this topic. Whichever you prefer.

What features do you need from your timer/programmer?
And do you have a room thermostat?

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The clock is broken so it’s either on or off - we can set the heat. I was wondering if there is a better system we can deploy for this particular boiler so we can not only set a timer but also manage the temp when it is on?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

I understand. Can you tell me the make and model of the controls that you have? Then I can tell you if there's a better system.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The boiler is a Capriz 24c
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK. I understand the boiler make and model. Could you attach photos of the timer, and the room thermostat, so I can see exactly what controls you have.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Here you go
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK. You mentioned that you can set the heat. How do you do that?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We don’t have a room thermostat only individual ones for each radiator
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We set the heat via the main boiler or radiator thermostats....
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK.  Until I see exactly what controls you are using, I can't suggest better ones.  Please attach photos of all the controls you use to set the heat.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok I will check if there is a room thermostat....otherwise it’s just the radiator thermostats and the main control on the boiler... give me a mo
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Nothing else sorry!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Bizarre eh?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

It's not unusual for an 'older' installation to have no room thermostat.

I can see a way of you having better control, and of saving money on energy - that was is to have a wireless room thermostat. There are various ways to combine timing with a thermostat, with a big choice of products on the market. I can easily suggest what I think will be right for you.

Do you foresee that you want a "Smart" thermostat, which allows you to control your heating over the Internet? It also means that you can program your heating schedule from a Smartphone App. Let let me know your preference.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
that’s the solution I’m seeking - fire away on how we can do this
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK that's good. So, of the following, which is your preference?

1. Wired room thermostat - cheapest but you have to run cable.
2. Wireless room thermostat - no cable.
3. Smart thermostat - most expensive but much more flexibility.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Option 3
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK. The one I firmly recommend is the Honeywell T6R. Do shop around for the best price, but here's an example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-Y6H910RW4022-Wireless-Thermostat-Silver/dp/B06XX9T52G

I inadvertently misled you slightly, in that a short length of cable will be needed between the boiler and the receiver unit, and a power connection. There are two ways of doing this: (a) 4-core cable from the boiler, using power from there, or (b) another 2-core cable to the boiler plus a second power cable to the thermostat. This is generally easy and quick. By "no cable" I mean no long cable going from the boiler to another room.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That sounds like a good solution - how do I go about getting this arranged?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Twickenham London
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

OK that's not far from me, if you're interested in arranging to do this. How urgent is the task?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not that urgent as I’ve switched the heating off as it’s summer but would be good to get it sorted and booked in ...how much and when?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

I can't publish my details here, but please see the following album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxQLJfpeLhQ4t7cY9

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok will email you - thanks
Expert:  Tim JA replied 12 days ago.

Okey dokey :-)