Tim JA
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I can't operate my CH without having my hot water on, Ive

Hi, I can't operate my CH without having my hot water on, Ive just replaced my old Potterton programmer to an EP2 one which is more modern but still same problem.
JA: How old is your Potterton unit?
Customer: Ive got a Baxi system which is over 10 years old and a cylinder in the airing cupboard
JA: How long has this been going on with your Potterton unit? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my plumber has been here several times, bled the radiators, unblocked header tank as water wasn't getting through, prior to this he has replaced pump and diverter a while ago
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no just pulling my hair out!

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

Please tell me the model of your old programmer.

Also, it would be useful to see a photo of the connections you have at the backplate.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
my plumber has just installed a new one EP2 Potterton which is an upgrade to my old one. He didnt use the old template
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no

Also, it would be useful to see a photo of the connections that your contractor has made at the backplate.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
EP2002
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I cant dismantle the programmer
the new one is EP2 virtually identical

I'm familiar with both models :-)

As you probably already know, the EP2 is designed to fit to the EP2002 backplate without any needing changes, so if you had two-channel control before then there are these possibilities:

1. Your contractor changed something on the backplate;
2. Your contractor has set the EP2 for a gravity system;
3. There is a loose connection somewhere;
4. There is a fault with a motorised valve or other component in the system;
5. The EP2 is faulty.

What resolution are you looking for from JustAnswer? Are you thinking of engaging a different heating engineer?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks for your reply: Ive just spoken to my plumber and he says its nothing to do with the programmer, or his configuration. I mentioned motorised valve he didn't discount this. He will have a think and get back to me. It seems to be a process of elimination but not obvious.

He can't say what the fault is not until he knows what the fault is. Also, there could be two faults.

It's not a process of elimination - that's a very inefficient way of problem-solving. He (or someone) just needs to use a multimeter to track down what's actually happening. It's really very easy - not much thinking needed.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok, well he's solved my probs before but this is a tricky one as there were other issues such as blockage in header tank
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he did use a multimeter!

Presumably you have no loss of amenity at the moment? You have control of the hot water and the central heating, and you have enough of each?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
too much very hot water not enough central heating as I tried to override both but couldn't get CH to come on

That sounds to me more like a motorised valve issue, not programmer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I did mention that to him after trawling the net and then speaking to you! I will get back to you once the problem is sorted out, thanks for your help

You're welcome. It's very easy to test the motorised valve.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok, thanks for that, I'll be in touch soon once the issue is resolved

I will be interested to hear the outcome :-)

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
will I!
Thank you for your rating.  If you need further assistance in the future you can reach out to me via JustAnswer.

Have a good weekend!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Tim, it was the motorised valve despite the fact that a new one was installed 18 months ago!

I'm glad to hear that you've diagnosed it and, I hope, fixed it.

I'm curious - which part of the motorised valve was faulty?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I asked my plumber to look at the diaphragm but he couldnt see anything other than a faulty switch?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the motirised valve was replaced by him 18 months ago he didnt want to replace it because of this he couldnt be sure this was the cause of the problem

I'm surprised to hear that it has a diaphragm, but that's not important - the bot***** *****ne is that you have a working system again :-)

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Tim again, yes everything ok but programmer clock losing time, any ideas?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Its a new EP2

Do you mean that time of day falls behind? Like a clock that's running slow?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

In that case I would say that the EP2 is faulty.

I don't think it would make any difference, but it might be worth checking the supply voltage to your property when a large load (e.g. a fan heater or electric shower) is in use.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thanks for that, I will get someone to do that

You're welcome :-)