Tim JA
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a Worcester Greenstar 4000 combi boiler that was

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a Worcester Greenstar 4000 combi boiler that was installed end of February this year, and it’s not firing up when I open to hot water tap. It fires up when I turn on the heating
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler?
Customer: No
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Last week it started for the first time, an engineer from Bosch came and said it was a defective valve and I think he replaced it. I had hot water for around 24 hours before it stopped working again. Another engineer came and said the issue was debris inside somewhere, he cleaned it and I had hot water again but stopped working the following day
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This issue first appeared when renovation works in my kitchen began, I have been told it’s a coincidence, but I’m starting to think they accidentally Didi something to the pipes
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of your hot water problem.

As I would expect, the boiler has been repaired under warranty.  Surely the best thing is to request another visit to diagnose and fix the latest problem?  Or do you have an alternative plan?

BTW, what is the current system pressure reading?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi,Yes of course, I will definitely contact the manufacturer again if this still persists, but they can take 3 days to send an engineer, so I was hoping to get a solution here because not having hot water is extremely inconvenient. The pressure is 1.1.
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

I do sympathise.  Although that might not come across well ;-)

Please indulge me for a moment when I ask this:  Did you buy the boiler, or did the installer provide it and charge you for it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I bought the boiler through a Bosch approved merchant and they installed it
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

Sorry to be pedantic, but did you buy the boiler in a separate purchase, or did you just pay the installer one amount for all parts and labour?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
One amount for all parts & labour
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

OK.   Ergo the installer is the retailer of the boiler in this situation.  Has the installer been involved at any stage of the fault-finding and fixing after they completed the installation?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, I contacted the manufacturer directly
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

OK.  So I have some recommendations:

1. Ask the installer to attend, and verify that the work carried out to the kitchen by other contractors hasn't compromised their original installation.

2. Ask the installer to take the boiler back, and provide one without any manufacturing faults.  You have a statutory right to reject an appliance that you believe has a manufacturing fault, and the retailer of the appliance can either replace it or refund you.
____

I understand that you might view the second recommendation as an impractical one, but the aim here is to speed up the process of finding the fault.  If the installer is brought into the problem, they will have a motivation to resolve it without having to remove the boiler.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for the recommendations, I will call the installer. Have a good rest of your day
Expert:  Tim JA replied 18 days ago.

You too.  I'll leave this topic open in case you have any follow-up questions.