Tim JA
Tim JA, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

We have a Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 618 system that was fitted by

Customer Question

We have a Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 618 system that was fitted by 0800Repair on behalf of British Gas in September 2021. The boiler has a stand-off plate fitted to conceal pipework, however the boiler casing and the stand-off plate do not join together very well despite both edges being straight. Both 0800 and BG are suggesting that there is a design fault and they have tried to fix the problem by adding a few extra self tapping screws which basically hasn't worked. Any suggestions?
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler? How old is it?
Customer: We have a Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 618 system that was fitted by 0800Repair on behalf of British Gas in September 2021. The boiler has a stand-off plate fitted to conceal pipework, however the boiler casing and the stand-off plate do not join together very well despite both edges being straight. Both 0800 and BG are suggesting that there is a design fault and they have tried to fix the problem by adding a few extra self tapping screws which basically hasn't worked. Any suggestions?
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Since it was fitted in September 2021
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim JA replied 10 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in Just Answer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your boiler installation.

So that I can get an idea of the problem that the screws were supposed to solve, please attach one or more photos of the arrangement.   See the following guidance on attaching photos:

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Casing and stand off plate join at bottom but weight of boiler creates gap at top. Is there an additional fixing kit or advice on how to correct this?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 10 days ago.

This looks highly abnormal.  What is the construction of the wall that the boiler is hanging on?

Did you verify that the installer is a Gas Safe registered engineer?

Expert:  Tim JA replied 9 days ago.

Good afternoon, I haven't heard back from you yet. Without the requested information, I can only give you a fairly general answer. I hope it is helpful.

The weight of this boiler is 34kg, and it's not acceptable to mount it on a wall that can flex, or in any way that allows the top of the boiler to move away from the wall like this.  I would report the installer to Gas Safe, and/or the HSE, and ask for my money back.  Then ask a different installer to attend, re-hang the boiler, and check the integrity of the flue.

If you can respond with more details, I can be more specific and likely add more information for you.