James
James, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

We have a vaillant boiler and recently turned our central

Customer Question

Hi, we have a vaillant boiler and recently turned our central heating on and we're only getting the upstairs radiators heat up, not the downstairs ones. Someone suggested to us that is could be the heat pump in the boiler?
JA: Are you getting any error codes or blinking lights on your boiler? How old is it?
Customer: No error codes and the pressure is all fine. I don't know the exact age but it doesn't look old
JA: How long has this been going on with your boiler? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We've had the boiler turned off for the last 6 months as we've been doing some work to the house. We unfortunately didn't test the heating when we moved in, so it's hard to say whether this is a new issue or an on going one. We have tried shutting off the upstairs radiators to allow the hot water to go to downstairs but no luck there. We have discovered that if you drain water out of the system downstairs then it allows hot water to the downstairs radiators, but it soon dissapates and goes cold again. But that does assure us there's no issue with the radiators or valves or anything.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  James replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** a heating technician with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your having issues with your heating, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  James replied 8 days ago.

Do you only have one thermostat in the property or do you have one upstairs and one downstairs?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just the one thermostat. And I have checked it to make sure it's not split into zones
Expert:  James replied 8 days ago.

Ok if you only have one zone, I would run the central heating and check if any radiators on the ground floor heat if you remove the thermostatic radiator valves, also worth bleeding the radiators.

I would concur if you still do not notice a significant improvement that its most likely the pump which is no circulating the water sufficiently causing your issue, at which point a gas safe engineer would be required to strip down the system boiler and run a flow check on the pump

It was a pleasure to assist you today. I hope the above answers the question. If you are happy for the question to be closed there is no need to reply (as this will reopen the question), however do let me know if you have any follow up questions.