sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe smelled like something. Was burning

Customer Question

My 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe smelled like something. Was burning then it started smoking so I stopped before it went on fire what is wrong
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.
I would like to know if the smell was burned oil or burned plastic are you in your ability to differentiate these?

then I'd like to know where the smoke came from if it was from the exhaust or if it was under the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oil under the bonnet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oil under the bonnet engine compartment.

Dear customer, in this case it is very likely that you have an oil leak that is falling towards the exhaust, which causes the smell and smoke. The first thing to do is not to use the vehicle anymore until a technician checks it for himself. If the oil leak is in an important part of the engine, it can cause greater damage due to lack of lubrication, this could be caused by different factors. In general, a vehicle with the passing of time can generate certain oil losses or leaks. which is solved by replacing the seals/gaskets of the engine. This is something common so you do not have to worry about the smoke can simply happen to be falling on the exhaust which causes the oil to immediately evaporate in the form of smoke and it is what you are observing, it is not a costly failure but if it is not reviewed in time it can generate expenses greater generate for the loss of lubricating oil, you must keep in mind that not only can the engine oil but there may also be a problem with the hydraulicoil or coolant that is falling on the exhaust.

On the other hand if the problem is that you have a smell like burnt plastic it could be that there is a cable that is short circuited causing it to melt and cause the smoke please visually check that the battery is not colliding with some kind of wire or metallic part of the motor that is totally clear because many times the battery when touching undue cables or touching metallic parts cause shorts that cause smoke.

Summing up my answer a bit, I would like to point out that the most prudent thing is for a technician to check before re-igniting the engine to make sure where the leaking comes form and if the car can keep running while the repairment is done or if the repairment have to be as soon as possible and the car should not be ignite it ultil the repairment is done.

Have you understood me dear customer?