Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2012. Recently the autohold and

Customer Question

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2012. Recently the autohold and hand brake have started playing up. Sometimes the Auto Hold will not release when I try to drive. I've tried pressing the hand brake to release it but it does not work and I have to switch the engine off and on to release it. Also the hand brake has started staying on and I have to release it manually to drive. Is this normal? How should I fix it.
Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: I don't know. It was serviced and MOT'd last week so there shouldn't be an issue with the brake fluid. Could it be something else they have done during the service?
Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - I'll probably get a mechanic to do it, but I'd like to have an idea of what is required before I go in there.
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The reverse parking camera is also only working intermittently - any thoughts. I did ask our mechanic about it but he didn't know how to fix it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

From what you have described here all of these issues sound related and can be caused by a fault with the handbrake system causing all of the faults. If you have a faulty hand brake release mechanism or sensor this may be causing this fault. I would have the hand brake system checked into further to help locate which component for sure is at fault and then it can be repaired from there to resolve this issue. Having the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model will help in some cases to locate the fault if a code is set related to this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete