sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

As I engage the clutch on my i30 1.6 diesel I can hear a

Customer Question

as I engage the clutch on my i30 1.6 diesel I can hear a scrapping noise.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, do you hear the noise once you press the clutch, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I release the clutch to move away.

Dear customer, I understand your problem and forgive me the delay.
The clutch replacement is considered a common maintenance that must be done every so often according to the use of the driver, the clutch system is made up of 3 important parts as the fly wheel, Disc and pressure plate, it is very likely that your problem is the disc or the flywheel that does not have the ability to push the disc (to accurately realize it must be disarmed).

In your case it is very likely that the sound is causing the flywheel as this is the one that pushes and pulls the plate that is responsible for transmitting the power when you press the clutch this piece is rotatable because when we step on the clutch causes a kind of sound when it is wearing out, this is normal and let's say it is a warning to indicate that the clutch system is going to wear out soon.

You can make the change only of the piece in malfunction, but I recommend you to replace the complete kit, and let me explain why, when one of these parts presents problems due to wear in the system, this is a common wear and tear and means that the other parts are too soon to wear out, if they are not already defective and to replace this kit you have to disassemble the transmission, which has a cost of labor, so it is not worthwhile to dissasemble the gearbox 3 times to replace only one piece each time, it is worn piece by piece, it is better to disassemble it once and replace the whole kit, if we think about it is less the cost in this way.

For this reason most of the spare houses not to say that they all sell the complete clutch master kit and not piece by piece of the clutch system.

Have you understood me dear customer?

Dear Customer, my goal is to give you the best advice I can and I hope that I've helped today.
If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been driving for over 50 years now and cannot recall having to replace one clutch this will be the 2 clutches in 26000 miles in this car. I bought this car new and the first clutch was replaced in the second year and you are saying that this second clutch is worn out. If I replace this clutch how can I make it last longer or is it the case that Hyundai use cheap materials? Is there a better quality clutch that can be used.

Where you live, are there many hills or the traffic jams are common and you have to apply a lot the clutch?
Also when you replace the clutch, did you replace the whole kit?
​Thanks in advance.