Nathan B
Nathan B, NVQ 3 qualified mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience as a motor mechanic including running my own garage.
27720961

Replaced my fauly auto 6speed gearbox, having issues

Customer Question

replaced my fauly auto 6speed gearbox, having issues
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a 2012 Santa Fe 2.2 diesel, and the gearbox started slipping, but failed soon after. I was sold a breakers gearbox from a newer Santa Fe 2016 2.2 diesel model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it came with the torque converter. i removed my old box and TC, fitted the NEW TC into the new gearbox. span it so it sank back into the bell housing and put it into place and bolted the flex/drive plate to the TC. But the problem is that when i bring the gearbox and engine together, the engine cannot crank either by starter motor or by hand, unless you back the case off the engine by about 1.5mm. I think its the TC getting pushed back onto the bell housing, so i purchased the new style flex/drive plate, but when comparing it to my old one side by side, the dimensions are identical. What i need to know is am i doing something wrong, or is there incompatibility with fitting the new gearbox to my engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my original gearbox part number is ***** the donor came from a breaker car, its registration plate is BG66 JYX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, Before you installed the gearbox, have you started the engine? thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it was running fine before the gearbox failed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2012 2.2 Diesel with a 6 speed auto gearbox, which i have owned for 2 years. The gearbox randomly clonked since i bought the car (35k miles), but last month started slipping in 3/4th gear (80k miles). I had to drive a 350 mile return trip, and it eventually stuck in 4th gear permanently. The next day 1st gear and 2nd gear started to slip bad and it finally gave up. I checked the fluid and it was horrible, so it had deffo crapped itsself.ok so onto the trouble...I bought a like for like gearbox with torque converter from a breakers, who assured would fit, but it came from a low mileage 2016 2.2d model that had been side/rear-ended. it looks identical and fits. For clarity, mine is the version 2 Santa Fe, and the new box came off a version 3.I have removed my old gearbox and TC. Then i fitted the new TC to the new gearbox - span it round and round till it went back a couple of times to what i believe is the correct and final depth possible, fitted it to my engine, bolted the TC to the flex/drive plate, and it seems to come together nicely. When trying to start the car, nothing happened, so it seemed the gear position sensor was off - i played and played to no avail, and ended up using my old sensor and hey presto the starter motor tried to work.....But it couldn't crank the engine, and neither could I by hand.. until i backed the box of the engine by 1-1.5mm. So it appears the TC is just slightly getting pushed against the bell housing and getting jammed. I spoke briefly to a mechanic who suggested it was probably a slight change in the flex/drive plate that would alter the distance, so i purchased for £72 the new plate from hyundai, but when measuring them side by side they are identical depths, (the new one is lightweight with vents in).What am i doing wrong? when comparing the TC, they are visually different on the face where they bolt to the plate. I don't want to try my TC as its full of dirty fluid - i'm not sure if its possible to clean it out at home..? The TC just seems like its too just big to fit between my engine and gearbox.When speaking to Hyundai parts to order the flex plate, he said they charge for the gearbox on my model £3k to buy, where as the one from the donor cars number plate costs £6k to buy, so they are very different models. I'm thinking (hoping now) that the internals have been improved due to all the problems they cause, but the dimensions and function should be the same.At this point i have gone past the return date of the new gearbox as it was delivered whilst i was away at a conference, I've invested a ton of wasted time and money for what seems like a hair sized difference in the TC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2012 2.2 Diesel with a 6 speed auto gearbox, which i have owned for 2 years. The gearbox randomly clonked since i bought the car (35k miles), but last month started slipping in 3/4th gear (80k miles). I had to drive a 350 mile return trip, and it eventually stuck in 4th gear permanently. The next day 1st gear and 2nd gear started to slip bad and it finally gave up. I checked the fluid and it was horrible, so it had deffo crapped itsself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just measured the distances between the bolt hole height on the torque converter to the bell housing on both old and new gearboxes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are both exactly the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it can’t be the dimensions !?

Thanks for your reply dear customer, please give me a moment to check the part number for compatibility and summarize my thoughts about this.

Dear customer, I understand your question and regretted that this is happening when a gearbox changes from one version to another, even though they do not seem obvious differences, They change. .

For this to start your query I would like to know the code of the new transmission, and the vin code of your Santa Fe to compare the transmissions in the best accurate way possible.

Dear customer the same place where you got the transmission, could you get the starter given for that transmission? I would like if it is possbile to you to do this test.