Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I am thinking of buying a used 2007 Hyundai Terracan. The

Customer Question

I am thinking of buying a used 2007 Hyundai Terracan. The seller says that he has in his words "dropped both keys and the small plastic covers have fallen out, so I have just used the key instead of the electric doors”....Is this going to be a difficult or expensive issue to solve or should I look elsewhere for another Terracan?
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: Looks OK in the picture he showed.
JA: What is the model of your '07 Hyundai?
Customer: 2.9 litre diesel manual Limited edition UK spec.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will not be fixing it. The seller says it works fine on the key but as I don’t know the car well enough I can’t tell if the electric door locking works automatically. I have not seen it yet as it is 200 miles from me
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Think that is it.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi..there...

If he has dropped or damaged the fobs that opens the doors/central locking..then they wont function.you'll likely have to lock these manually to doors i mean..as long as the key still opens and starts the car.then all you would need is new fob for central locking and maybe another key cut and programmed to the car for immobiliser..normally the dealer will need to that unless you know of a auto locksmith locally you can do all that for you..but you could be looking £150approx for another key maybe...As for wether you should look for another Terracan.i cant really answer that unless you find one in better condition that the one your looking at then i dont see why not...