Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2018 ioniq ev, I have an ioniq ev 2018. how do I

Customer Question

I have a 2018 ioniq ev
JA: What is the model of your '18 Hyundai?
Customer: I have an ioniq ev 2018. how do I best preserve the battery for long term use
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: this is an EV with a polymar Battery
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am looking for advice on charging and general use of the battery that may prolong the life of the battery by a couple of years
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In General use with a Hyundai Ioniq EV - advice on prolonging the life of the battery over its lifetime
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi..there..

There is alot of things you can do to help prolong life time of the battery..of course during routine service/checks the elected garage qualified to work on EV's can diagnostically scan the car and its battery health...a few things you can do yourself..ie:- speed - meaning if you floor it suddenly then this can bring battery state down quicker then it would moderatly driving,progresive take off - 2nd is weight - unessesary weight means more effort on the motor meaning more from the battery.. 3rd is always charging upto 100% and running at a discharged rate of below 10/20% alot of manufacturers recommend you charge upto 80-90% this means room for regenerative braking,they also recommend that you try to avoid discharging to below 20% so planning is essentail to find charging points on long journeys... 4th is heat alot of ev's use thermal management to stop battery overheating which take power from the battery..so summer time if the cars sitting in an area that subject to continuos sun/heat then it might be best to find a shaded area... hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am seeking advice on how to use charging in a way that preserves the battery
it is an EV 2018 Ioniq
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Well i stated that above...

Always charging upto 100% and running at a discharged rate of below 10/20% alot of manufacturers recommend you charge upto 80-90% this means room for regenerative braking,they also recommend that you try to avoid discharging to below 20% so planning is essential to find charging points on long journeys..any further questions?