Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have an intermittent fault with the immobilizer on a 2011

Customer Question

I have an intermittent fault with the immobilizer on a 2011 Santa Fe. Sometimes the key light flashes on the dash and will not allow the car to start although it does turn over. Remove the key, Lock, unlock try again and it generally works. Does the antenna need to be replaced? Thank you
Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: The fuses are all absolutely fine, it is intermittent so I don't see how a fuse would be an issue
Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have reset the immobilizer by disconnecting the battery etc, replaced batteries in fobs.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Robert replied 8 days ago.

Hi..there..

You would only really know if the antenna is at fault by looking at live data on scanner to see if the keys/transponder chip is being seen by the antenna..normally its list a code P1691 for that..it might be worth too if you can is get the plastic cowling off aorund the column and check the wiring isnt loose that leads off the antenna ring..

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have had the bowling off purely just to see where the antenna wiring is. I will remove it again at the weekend and check the connections. Am I right in thinking that only the main dealer will be able to read the data?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 days ago.

Hi..there..

Read data..you mean live data..not really any garage witha high end scanner should be able to that...dealer is onlya last resort..alot of scanners nowadays can do a quite alot..its just finding the right people who know how to use them..