Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

When pressing accelerating the pedal sticks near the bottom

When pressing accelerating the pedal sticks near the bottom of travel - is this normal?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Car is 15 plate 1.4 crdi 50 k miles
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: I20 1.4 CRDI Premium
JA: What year is your Hyundai?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not fixing it, just want to know if accelerator sticking is anything to be worried about?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When accelerator is pressed down fully there is a buzzing / vibrating sound that lasts for a bit then goes.

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. Hopefully I can help you.

My first reaction would be that no the throttle pedal should not stick near the bottom of its travel, it should be smooth throughout and return immediately when released. However having said that the accelerator on your Hyundai is a fly by wire system and has no mechanical connection to the engine, the accelerator transmits a signal to the ECU which then controls the speed of the engine.

These throttle pedals do have a spring at the end of travel and that may be what you are feeling, but even with this the throttle should return as soon as its released.

The buzzing sound may be an indication that the electrical connections within the pedal mechanism are failing and I would advise getting this looked at as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask me for any further details.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue. Even after you have clicked accept you can continue to ask me further questions.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Steve, the car has a service booked already and i'll get them to take a look at it. Is this a common problem on I20's?

Its actually a problem which has been found on quite a few different Hyundai models.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can it be fixed under warranty?
Hi sorry for the delay in getting back to you, yes it should be under the Hyundai warranty
Steve