Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have a 2010 i20 1.4 auto and on load when I’m doing

Customer Question

I have a 2010 i20 1.4 auto and on load when I’m doing between 25-50mph I get like a pinking noise from the engine. It stops when I release the accelerator.. I’ve had the timing chain and tensioner replaced, the plugs and also visual checks of the heat shield which all look ok.. any ideas?
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: 61k and it runs like a dream
JA: What is the model of your '10 Hyundai?
Customer: I20 Comfort 1.4 auto
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: on load when I’m doing between 25-50mph I get like a pinking noise from the engine. It stops when I release the accelerator.. I’ve had the timing chain and tensioner replaced, the plugs and also visual checks of the heat shield which all look ok.. any ideas?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s it
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 days ago.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m happy to wait a boy longer
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Bit*
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 5 days ago.

Good morning. Sorry for the delay you have received, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

As you have described the noise as a pinking noise, that may be exactly what it is, although modern engines do not allow for adjustment of the timing, this should still be done electronically.

Your engine incorporates a knock sensor, which at early signs of pinking / knocking should adjust the timing to compensate before the condition begins.

This knock sensor is located at the front of the engine block and if faulty would often not throw a fault code but would just not perform its task.

I have attached a screenshot showing the position of this sensor (number 14). The method to test the sensor is with the engine running to tap the cylinder block next to the sensor whilst the engine is ticking over. as the sensor detects the knock you should hear the rev's alter slightly as the system adjusts the timing. If this does not occur then the sensor or connection may be faulty.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve