CarDoc
CarDoc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

2011 i30 ESC off light on and wont switch off. Also rev

2011 i30 ESC off light on and wont switch off. Also rev counter intermittently stops working. These are on the car for a while but very recerntly the EPS light comes on sometimes at a hot start and the steering is heavy. Once the engine is stopped and started again the EPS light goers out and the steering is normal. I'm mentioning all in case they are related.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Electronic Stability Control, Rev counter and Electronic Power Steering
JA: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havent done anything other than check battery voltage and condition, connections etc. All are fine.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it. Thanks.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your car, I will do my best to help you today.

I believe from your description, all these issue are likely to be related. Have you had any sort of work done near the steering column/steering?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No work done on steering or steering column

Have you had the car scanned for fault codes? It seems as though the steering has lost its position and needs to be recalibrated.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No I haven't had it scanned for fault codes yet. Do you think that's all that is wrong?

It's important to scan for fault codes because a more accurate diagnosis can be made rather than guesswork.

Hopefully it is limited to a recalibration, otherwise it's possible that the MDPS (electric power steering column) or control module needs replacing. I would approach an independant garage rather than a main dealer to recalibrate the steering position first, it's literally a 5-10 minute job and it's done using a diagnostic tool, the main dealer will push you into replacing it even when it may not be needed.

I hope this information helps you. Thank you for visiting JustAnswer

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK thank you. I will being it to an independent garage for scanning and hopefully re-calibration/ resetting.

My pleasure. If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!

.

All the best and thank you for visiting JustAnswer.