Steve
Steve, Vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have a 2014 i30 diesel. The car has cut out on me three

Hi. I have a 2014 i30 diesel. The car has cut out on me three times in the last 2 weeks whilst driving. Two times when changing from 3rd gear to 4th gear and once from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. There is no noise involved or jerking - just cutting out. I can turn the engine back on straight away. It is a diesel. I had the car serviced just before the cutting out started. I have taken it back and they ran a diagnositic check which showed nothing up. They put fuel cleaner in but the engine has died since then. I'd be grateful for any ideas. (there is a very slight sweet smell off the engine but can't remember if this was always the way.Thanks
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Hi - yes starts the same as usual and no, don't think its running inefficiently. THe garage said the fuel filter looked alright but would change it if the problem occurred again.
JA: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - I am no mechanic! I took it back to the garage that serviced it and they did the diagnostic test that they plug in and added the fuel cleaner
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No - but i appreciate your help

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.
As the engine cuts out without making any strange noises and as it can be started up again straight away without issue I would check in the area of the engine loom and connections.

If this was a fuel problem, then the cutting out would probably be slightly laboured and when attempting to re-start there would be a short delay.

The fact that the engine can be restarted and that there are no codes suggests that possibly a connection in the engine wiring loom is failing when the engine moves slightly during the gear change. When the engine stops the connection is good and so the engine can start up easily.

I would ask your garage to first check the security of the engine mountings and stabilizer.  then look at the engine loom and connecting plugs, it can be quite common for the engine loom to fracture and if this is the case when it moves it can remove power from the diesel pump solenoid or one of the other vital connections.

Sometimes with the engine ticking over any problems can be found by giving the engine and loom a good shake around. If the engine cuts out at this point then it will be confirmed.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.
Steve