Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I would like to replace a d4bf engine on my hyundai h200

Customer Question

I would like to replace a d4bf engine on my hyundai h200 with an d4bh engine. Are the wiring compatible?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I have not. I don' t know where to start from.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: It is a 2000 model. Hyundai H200 crew cab.
JA: What year is your Cab?
Customer: 2000.
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I intend to do so. That will be in December as the vehicle is in another country. So I got this engine when mine blow the block. Someone told me it is possible. So I want to have good information before time.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: This is the information I have. If you require the pictures of the vehicle I have.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Phillip H replied 12 days ago.

Hiya

The D4BF Engine and the D4BH Engine are quite similar in most ways.  The difference is the D4BH has an Electronically Controlled Throttle Valve which uses a Stepper Motor, an Accelerator Pedal with Potentiometer and an Electornic Control Unit to control the operation of this.

The D4BF Engine is an old fashioned Thorttle operated by a cable from the pedal!

I suspect t he wiring required for the D4BF won't be in the vehicle because there was in effect no need for this extra wiring!

I think your best bet would be to have the two engines sat together and see if the manifold fitments are the same and then use the block and head from the D4BF mated with the Manifolds from your existing Engine.  As lone as the Manifold Fitments are the same then you should get away with it although I suspect the later engine may have had EGR or something added so may be slightly different!

Phillip

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Phillip. WhaI have is a totally reconditioned d4bh engine. Was thinking that I was going to remove the d4bf engine and put in the d4bh with necessary transplants and adjustments. Is this going to be easy, too involving or too costly. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Phillip H replied 12 days ago.

Hiya

You would have to stand the two engines next to each other and check the mountings for the Manifolds are the same and all of the other mounting points for everything else.  If you can use your existing manifolds etc. with the new Engine then I don't see a problem.

If the Manifolds are different then you will have issues and it will become too costly and too involving in puttimg in new wiring etc.

Phillip